If you are unable to have a child you can adopt one. Adoption law basically ends the rights of the biological parent over a child and gives all rights of a parent to the one who adopts a child. The legal procedure may take 2 years or more; the exact duration depends on the details of an adoption case. Once the legal process of adoption is completed the biological parents have no rights over a child; you become the legal parent of the adopted child and hold all the legal rights and duties of a parent; you are to financially look after the child in addition to caring for him/her in all other aspects.
Types of Adoptions
Adoptions are of many types. It implies that you can adopt a child through a number of ways. Some of the popular types of adoptions include:
· Adoptions through public or private agencies. Public agencies place children who suffer from abuse or the orphans. Private agencies generally place children that are brought by parent who is expecting or those who already have a child and wish to give for adoption.
· Stepparent Adoptions. In this type of adoption a parent's new partner adopts a child that the parent had with an earlier spouse.
· Relative Adoptions. Relative adoption is also called as kinship adoption. In this case a member of the child's family adopts him/her.
· Adult Adoptions. It implies the adoption of one adult by another if there is an age gap of 10 years at least.
· Independent Adoptions. There is no agency involved in this type of adoption. However, the adopting parents generally need the services of an attorney to take care of the documentation required in independent adoptions.
· International Adoptions. International adoptions imply the adoption of a child who is a citizen of a foreign country. The parents are required to get an immigrant visa for the child through U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services in addition to fulfilling other formalities.
Hiring an Adoption Lawyer
An adoption lawyer plays a major role in any adoption procedure. Without hiring an adoption lawyer it would not be possible to finalize adoption. These lawyers are familiar with the laws pertaining to all types of adoption. They take care of all the legal issues that surround adoption and thus provide you with peace of mind and make sure that you remain safe from all types of loopholes and mistakes that are common during this process. This is why when you decide to adopt a child it is vital to look for an experienced family lawyer who can take care of the legal issues and ensure that you get the rights of parents without any hassle.